Sunday, May 30, 2010

A few ideas for you.....
and wishing you a wonderful Memorial Day ~

I want to wish each and every one of you dear friends
a wonderful Memorial Day ~
So many have sacrificed so much for our freedom....




The photo below is a looking up from my work table....
I just love stacking things to the ceiling!




You know what a frugal chick I am ~ well, when it comes to art supplies
I love finding good stuff for a great price!!
I stopped by Hobby Lobby (are you sick of hearing about this store?)
last week because they have a 40% off coupon
every other week and I can't stand to not use it :) and found
several isles of 66% off home decorating things.
I did get to use the coupon on a Cloth, Paper, Scissors magazine too!!!

What I love to do is find canvases or other items for a great price
that I can use as foundations for my own artwork!!
I can gesso over them or even apply old music sheets or ledger papers
directly over the original design.


I love this burlap covered piece....
now to figure out what I can turn it in to!



This is a stretched canvas that I will be transforming as well ~
(the design is really neat but I bought it to use for my own artwork.)


So my idea for you is to look at things a little differently.
If you're at the thrift store and see an awful painting on canvas,
grab it! Then gesso over and create your own artwork on it!!!!



Plus, I've got to share a wonderful art challenge
that Lisa of Tarnished and Tattered
has come up with!!!

She found these amazing soap boxes at Target and a few other places,
I think the brand of soap is Pure & Natural....
Well, you can go out and purchase your own,
remove the soap and use it of course then
alter the soap box!!!!
She's going to have a show and tell on June 28 where
we can all post photos of our own altered boxes on our blogs!!
The great thing about all of this???
NO POSTAGE REQUIRED!!!

So head on over and grab Lisa's button at the top of her right side bar
if you'd like to join in,
now....what can I do with mine???
hmmmmm, I'd better get to thinkin'....






PLUS, Mitzi of Mitzi's Collectibles has a great new project
featured
on her blog!!!!
An altered suitcase.....
I can SO see mine ~
I would love it to be covered in copies
of old handwritten letters.....




Sending you all love and hugs,
Dawn

18 comments:

Vicki Boster said...

Love your new Hobby Lobby finds dear Dawn! You are the best at making great purchases there - and it is so wonderful to use those coupons!

Good luck with that altered box challenge. I saw that and I did not have a clue how to design that box - can't wait to see what you do with it!

Vicki

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Dawn,
As usual, I'm lovin everything that you are showing. That suitcase is great. I've got a plain one that has been needing something and this is it. Also, I can't wait to see what Lisa does with the soap boxes. Gotta love that girl!

You are so full of wonderful ideas
and I can't wait for your next post.

hugs
Sissie

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

Dawn ~ that is a great idea on the canvases ! I have seen the burlap ones too and didn't even think of putting gesso over them ~
xoxo
Lori

The Tin Rabbit said...

Dawn... I love Hobby Lobby too! I clip every 40% off coupon! I hope you have a happy Memorial Day! Love&Hugs, Ann

Dorthe said...

Hi sweetie,
I would love a Hobby Lobby here, in Dk,--you alwayes find real treasures ,to use for artmaking, there, must be so great.
Love your ideas, Dawn.
And love the soapbox altering,such a wonderfull and sweet idea from Lisa.
Have a great monday sweet friend,
Love and hugs, Dorthe

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

You always display such fabulous things! Anita

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Hi Dawn,
great finds and inspirations.
Wish we had a Hobby Lobby in NH.
Have a wonderful Memorial Day my friend.Hugs,Marie

Theresa said...

Great post! Enjoy this Memorial Day my friend! Sounds like you have lots going on in your creative mind:) I LOVE Hobby Lobby and frequent that 66% off aisle quite often. Have a blessed day! HUGS

Lynne Moncrieff said...

No Hobby Lobby in Scotland, what a pity. Your artwork and finds are always beautifully photographed. TFS. Lynne M

Mosaic Magpie said...

Can't wait to see what you come up with for those soap boxes.
Debbie

Wildflowerhouse said...

Dawn you are having fun! We do not have hobby lobby here in WA. I really wish we did.Give old Michaels a little competition. We can't use 40% off for mags at all. Now you have to go online to get a coupon. Not in the paper anymore. I don"t think that's fair to people who don't own a comp. They have to go to the library and they charge for copies. I always try to carry a few spares to give out. There I go rattling on, sorry!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! WHAT a great post!! I have several paintings on canvas I picked up super cheap and didn't know what to do with cause they were NOT pretty paintings! I'm also going to participate in the Tarnished and Tattered Soap challenge! Can't wait to see what you do with your soap! :)

Lisa said...

Hey Sweet friend,
I love your bargain hunting ways Dawn, you don't even make it to the back of the store. You fill your buggy while in the clearance dept. Those little metal baskets are the coolest. Can't find them here. You are so sweet to 'sponsor' my little art challenge. I'm so excited to see all of the people coming on board. Lisa

paperbird said...

i love our local hobby lobby- especially when they have coupons. I really love those tiny wire baskets- did you get them there?

At Home in English Valley said...

Hello Dawn, I'm a hob-lob fan too. I used to dream of going to a Hob-Lob back when Darci and Pattie were on the old Alene's Creative Living Show!(anyone remember that?) (Younger ladies talk amongst yourselves;-) Now I have one not 5 minutes away, I may be their best customer. Love, Penny

Rebecca said...

Hi Dawn
Glad you reminded me of the soap box altered thingy... I still haven't gotten mine. I tell you it has been too busy for me lately and I have been under the weather again! gees
Can't wait to see what you do with yours!
Blessings
Rebecca

The Rustic Victorian said...

Giggle...
I was just looking online for that Ralph Lauren suitcase we saw on his site,,,did you save that photo?? I was looking on turning a few white, with writing..like his..anyhow,,,I did find a site that had used spray paint, also used brush on paint.,she said the spray works better, as it dosent chip. She sprayed all of it, even the hardware. I would leave the hardware original myself. Funny you posted this, as I was just thinking of doing some for a stacking bed table. wonder if I will actually get to it..it is so humid out.. well,I'll study on
it. Love ya Miz Dawn! Marcie

Unknown said...

LOVE that sweet, little suitcase!


Labels

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...