Monday, December 4, 2017

Creating a little magic in the studio!



I've always loved fairies.
I love the idea of them existing,
watching over nature and living
in their magical woodland homes!

So for my latest project I decided to alter a wooden
house purchased at the craft store into a whimsical fairy house ~







Here's what I purchased at Hobby Lobby!
Not too special but a perfect piece for me to embellish.






I began by base painting it with normal acrylic paints in the little bottles.





After painting I wanted to age it a bit
and created a mossy wash and also a brown wash
to give it an older look, especially around the windows
and in the crevices.




I found a great cigar box to use as a platform and painted it as well.
Next I began adding all different kinds of natural elements.
I've been gathering these goodies for years!!
Some items are store bought like some of the moss and little wood cuts
but a lot is gathered from our yard right here at home.




Three different roof styles made it so much more charming and interesting!
A thatched roof was created from unwound jute, glued in overlapping layers.

One roof is created from pieces of pine cones and mosses.

And lastly, the other roof was made from river birch bark and
other bark pieces with lichen.



The more that was added, the more I loved it!!!





It's funny when you begin working on something like this.
You sometimes have to reel yourself in and decide
when it's time to stop.

So here is my finished piece!!!














I'm so pleased with how this fairy house turned out!!!
This sweetie has been now added to my Etsy store ~
Wouldn't it be a perfect gift for a nature lover?


Thank you so much for always stopping by to see what I'm up to!
hugs and love,
Dawn

3 comments:

Barb, from Texas said...


First, Dawn, let me tell you how much I enjoy the PICTURES that you share with us! I don't know where you find them, but I'd love to print out almost every single one to keep and look at over and over! Today's sweet crying fairy is just such a treasure!
Being a fan of fairies, I'm sure you are familiar with the FLOWER FAIRIES that Cecily Mary Barker created in the late 1800's. The first time I saw her work was on gift wrap paper at DOLLAR TREE! Recently I found a Hallmark Birthday book filled with her lovely art work.
I think of you every time I look at my ceramic Peter Cotton Tail container that is full of the egg shaped soaps that I ordered from you lo, many years ago!!! I like them so much that I have never used one!!! Sadly, the colors have faded...but I still love them.
Thanks for all you share!

Jackie PN said...

Your fairy house is indeed a magical place! Well done on using all of your found treasures on it- it really looks delightful and I wouldn't mind moving in myself! LOL

Jackie ")

Roosterhead Designs said...

Beautifully created Dawn! Charming and so amazingly detailed~
It does look like so much fun : ) Thanks for sharing~ Karen O


Labels

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...